Monday, July 24, 2006

Tales from the Gothic Horror Suspense Crypt that will Astonish


So remember how good horror comics used to be?  I mean, seriously!  There was some great stuff there.  Not to say that horror comics today are not great bathroom reading, but they don't carry the same weight as they used to.  I know you know what I'm talking about.  I love that there are people from big publishers getting into the classic short-story anthology format again.  I mean, I miss reading beautiful lush illustrations of womyn killing men in bathtubs w/ plugged-radios back to back w/ french men in pantaloons running around w/out heads!  What happened to that?!  I think what happened to it is the zombie of Thomas Wertherm ate all the great horror comics writers & artists.  Yup.  That's what happened.  That would explain why all the good horror comics are all zombie stories.  Now you know that I love zombies as much as the next guy.  Probably more than the next guy.  But not as much as that guy over there breathing real heavy with the peeling skin.  But there has been a huge overflow of zombie related comics.  Alternately, I don't appreciate horror comics that are purely liscencing deals.  I feel that there is a bit more creative liscence that these writers & artists are willing to take w/ these characters, but not enough to be wholly original & unique.  

So I started thinking about it.  What actually makes a scary story.  Horror movies now a days rely so much on a heavy gore & sharp editting cuts to make things scary.  There is something really eery & frightning about those old 70s horror movies that show very little.  Even Takeshi Miike's "Audition" is scary as shit 'cos there's very little scary stuff involved until the very end, & even then it's not the torture or the barbed wire mesh device that's scary, but that crazy undefineable look in people's eyes.  Amazing twists too.  That's what I miss.  Not the "Oops.  I guess that's not the end of the story" kind of ending, but the "Yeh, the killer turned out the be posessed by bees" which makes very little sense but makes you think about something completely unrelated to a specific plot or specific characters.  A quick glimpse of something unknown that scares you to yr bones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home